Saturday, January 3, 2009

Supervolcano

Just sitting here browsing fark when this link pops up:

In recent years, Yellowstone's caldera has been rising thanks to uplifting magma beneath it—leading to more cracks, hot springs and even more frequent eruptions of Steamboat Geysers. Paired with the earthquakes, such magma movement might presage an eruption—either big or small. Unfortunately, scientists can't really predict when the next such eruption will happen, and the range of possibilities is large: from later today to a million years from now.
Has anyone else seen the discovery special, "Supervolcano"? This certifiably scares me. If the caldera were to erupt life as we know it would completely cease. The increase in the frequency of earthquakes scares me. The idea of the sky being blotted out by smoke and ash scares me. What my neighbors would do in this event scares me. The fact that Adam is visiting his mom, and not up here in Chico scares me. Gah! I need to go watch Wall-E again.

I know, I know, I do have a tendency to make everything a bigger deal than it really is. (although, if this were to happen, it would be a pretty freaking garganuatan ordeal.) The likely hood that this will happen in my lifetime is null. BUT IT WILL HAPPEN. That is the scary part, I guess. All this uncertainty of when (enter any number of) catastrophic events will happen, and the knowledge that they will happen someday really irks me. I am even the type of person that is a little freaked out by the idea that the sun will engulf the earth in a few million years.

Ok. I need to stop. On a lighter note, I got a Blackberry pearl yesterday and have browsed the internet from the toilet. There is no greater feeling. Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment